Tolaram Group, Director
In recognition of the excellent contribution to the Estonian economy since 1995 and for building close relations between Estonia and Singapore, the Government of Estonia appointed Mr. Sonny Aswani as the Honorary Consul of Republic of Estonia to the Republic of Singapore in 2008.
Mr Sonny Aswani, a citizen of the Republic of Singapore is based in Estonia as the Director for Tolaram Corporation, privately owned company with diversified business activities sectors such as manufacturing of food, paper textile, marketing and distribution, financial services and real estate developments. Mr. Aswani has been active in fronting the interest of Estonia; he revived the pulp and paper industry in Estonia through Horizon Pulp and Paper and also rebuilt the award winning Pagari apartments in old town Tallinn.
In addition to promoting the business interest of Estonia in Singapore through his contacts established in both countries, he has created the Tolaram Foundation which oversees various charitable works in Estonia, Africa and India. Some of the projects undertaken by the foundation include the establishment centre for Music Education for handicapped children.
He has received numerous awards over the years and these include:
– Award for Job Creation in Estonia (1995);
– Best Promoter of Estonia (1996);
– Overall Winner of “Invest in Estonia” (1997);
– Best Export Development (1998);
– Foreign Investor of the Year (2001);
– Global Indian Business Award (2007);
– Special Mention Award in CSR for the Community Development efforts in Nigeria and Estonia (2010);
– Recognition Award from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Estonia for the contribution to the expansion of the relations between Estonia and Singapore (2014).
He was the first foreign businessman to be granted with Estonian honorary citizen by the late President Lennart Meri, who also honoured him with the Order of the White Star